To be the premier combination Volunteer–Career
fire service organization
in the metro region.
To promote cutting edge thinking in our efforts to educate, protect and serve.
“The purpose of life is not to be happy – but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all”~ Leo Rosten
Savage Volunteer Fire Company was organized in 1937 as the Sixth District of Howard County. Built in 1938, the original fire station was located on Savage-Guilford Road and is now the location of a beauty shop. At this time in 1938, Savage Volunteers put the first ambulance in service in the county. The companies first fire truck, a 1947 Diamond “T” was purchased in 1947. The companies second location was at 8925 Lincoln St., purchased in 1957, with the original station completed in September 1957. Throughout the years, the volunteers continued to provide emergency services to the citizens of Savage and the surrounding communities. As Howard County began to grow, 1974 brought about change in the county with two new stations being placed in service. Station 8 in the Second Fire District and Station 9 in the Sixth Fire District. At that time, Station 9 was a part of the Sixth District and was managed by Volunteers of Savage VFC. Thirteen years later… Fire Station 10 was built by Howard County and placed under the management of the Sixth District. With the Sixth District seeing a decline in volunteer participation, the county began phasing in career staff to assist the volunteers in providing service. About the same time, Savage Volunteers turned over control of Stations 9 & 10 to Howard County to manage.
The approximately 85 Savage Volunteers continue to operate out of the station located at 8925 Lincoln St. Currently we respond to emergencies with a Pierce Engine (county owned), Pierce Rescue-Engine (Savage VFC owned), Pierce 105 ft. Ladder Truck (Savage VFC owned), a Paramedic Unit (county owned), an Ambulance (county owned) and a brush truck (Savage VFC owned). Six career staff are assigned to work at the Savage Fire Station on a rotating 24 hour shift and routinely staff the Paramedic Unit and Engine. Savage VFC responds to some 5,000 calls a year for emergency assistance. The Savage Fire District runs from the Anne Arundel County Line West to Murray Hill Road, North to Kit Kat Rd. and South to the Prince George’s County Line. The response area includes not only the community of Savage, but the Howard County area known as North Laurel, including the Emerson and Stone Lake developments. The Jessup area of Howard County and Southern Columbia. The location of the current firehouse is 8521 Corridor Road, Just acroos Route 1 from Old-Towne Savage.
“Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have” ~ Margaret Mead